Re: Cooling system protection

To: Dr G W Owen <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Cooling system protection
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:53:41 -0500
Dr G W Owen wrote:

> The fact that you are running an Ali rad means you probably dont need
> anything at all!!!!!

I need something to prevent or slow down the formation of rusty looking
stuff. Not because it's hurting anything yet, but its presence in the
overflow bottle offends my aesthetic standards. Guess I'll try water
wetter, supposed to be good for man and beast, according to all the
listers. Maybe also get an opaque overflow bottle.

 Now if you fill the rad up with salt water I
> would thinnk that in 10 years you would have no rust in the block but the
> radiator would be scrap - anyone dare to try it?
>
> For those sceptical about this, I can give you a rather good example. In
> 1927 the land speed record car Babs was burried in salt water. 42 years
> later my father dug it up. The gearbox casing (ali) was like powder, but
> the internals were all mint. Even the original roller bearings were
> retained for the working rebuild of 500bhp

Fascinating. Obviously, iron ships at the bottom of the ocean survive,
to star in movies.

Where is Babs now? I saw her on TV last week. What a wonderful beast.

Along the same lines, -- when I recently looked at the P38 airplane that
was extracted from under 270 ft. of ice and snow after about 50 years,
it appeared that the exterior panels were deformed but not corroded, but
the ports in the engine head were quite rotten. Puzzling.

--
uncle jack the carfrek
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer