Re: one wire alternators

To: rccook16@voyager.net
Subject: Re: one wire alternators
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 10:08:25 EDT
Rick,

Converting to a one wire alternator is really quite simple.  Most one wire
alternators have three wires.  The large one (might be marked "B") is the
battery wire and is used to charge the battery.  To run an amp meter (which I
prefer) run this wire into the cabin to one side of your amp meter and another
heavy wire out to the battery.  There are various ways to do this and I won't
get into that unless you need more info. If the amp meter shows discharge when
the alternator is charging and shows charging when you turn on the lights,
reverse the amp meter wires.

The other two wires are smaller.  One is for the dash board charging indicator
(idiot) light (might be marked "I") and the third wire is the exiciter wire.
You can hook this wire up to an ignition switched hot wire like your coil
wire.  You can leave your (stock) regulator in place for that factory look and
for easy conversion back to a generator.  You might have to reroute the stock
idiot light off the stock regulator and connect it to the new alternator.

I have done this conversion to my MGB, MGA and serveral American iron with
great results.  E-mail me if you have any problems.

Rod Schweiger
'64 MGB Sebring Replica #119