Re: starters and "Nipponese" cars

To: S800Racer@aol.com
Subject: Re: starters and "Nipponese" cars
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:51:01 -0400
That's exactly the system used in my old kawasaki 750 twin, owned years ago.
I think it used little rollers and ramps that were forced to lock onto the
crankshaft by centrifical force when the starter motor was turning faster
than the crank.

I was about 100 miles into a 300 mile ride one friday night, when the
"clutch" decided to engage the starter motor , and nothing I could do from
outside the engine would get it to un-engage.  so I had the exciting
opportunity to completely disassemble the side of the motor, and tear out
the starter motor drive, the rollers, et al, on the side of the road, in the
failing light, using only the cheesy tool kit included under the seat of the
motorcycle!  These tools are kind of like silhouettes of actual tools - the
same shape, but made of some imitation metal...

Some day I'll tell you how I changed the front wheel bearings on a Mini
using only a hammer and a screwdriver, likewise on the side of a rather
deserted highway.

Cheers, Brian