Oh Deere

To: vintage race list <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oh Deere
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 06:09:39 -0500
Having recently retired from a 20 year career with John Deere, I've
searched in vain for a connection between this fine company and sports
cars. Alas, no luck. Closest I can get is four current employees who
race vintage, Dave Tedore (Sprite), Joe Alexander (TR4), Bob Kramer
(TR3), and self (TR4).

However, in the 20's, a brother of John Deere did produce the Deere
automobile, a medium priced touring car, of which absolutely none remain
(subject of a life-long search by a friend of mine). And, of course, a
relative of the Deere family produced the Velie, a really interesting
20's - 30's car with pretty styling. The old Velie mansion still exists
in Moline, Illinois as a fine restaurant, with a little showroom in
front where local Velie woners display their cars. Velie also made an
airplane, of which a number remain.

But, no sports cars. Heck. However, I will continue to fly my John Deere
flag at selected events, even if those aging and apparently myopic Can
Am drivers complain that they confuse it for a Road America corner five
yellow flag (true story).
--
uncle jack
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer