Fw: Aluminum treatment

To: <CarterCM@aol.com>
Subject: Fw: Aluminum treatment
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 21:20:29 -0600
Someone asked about a prior message on  aluminum treatment:

For aluminum treatment supplies, the home-built aircraft people
can't be beat and the best one is AIRCRAFT SPRUCE in Corona, CA.
Call them for their fantastic free catalog,  it's about
600 pages of goodies and tech information with big-time application to our
kind of cars.   1 800 824 1930   fax 909 372 0555
A/C Spruce is also online at:   http://www.aircraft-spruce.com
A/C Spruce does E-mail :        Info@aircraft-spruce.com
A/C Spruce in Georgia             1 800 831 2949
A/C Spruce is also represented in the UK, Australia & S. Africa

The products I've used many times are:

Alumniprep #33  cleaner and brightener

Alodine #1001 clear sealer/stabilizer;  apply after brightener

Alodine #1201 golden/transparent sealer/stabilizer for use under paint or
when the gold alonized appearance is desirable.  (One formula Vee engine
builder alonizes his engine blocks and transmission cases and they really
look good with red or green paint on the tinwork.)

I've also used the #33 and #1001 on magnesium wheels and uprights though A/C
Spruce tech people weren't sure about using it on magnesium . . it worked
for me.  One caveat:
on the magnesium:  If a clear-coat is desirable use Zynolyte  . . . another
brand of spray clear turned the magnesium an ugly yellow.

Dealing with an Eleven, a Westfield eleven, a 51, a 23 and a Super 7 over
the years, I've had "acres" of bare aluminum to make presentable.  Matching
new aluminum to old was a challenge.  I evolved a method which leaves a
sealed  matte finish on all the
panels; new metal and old metal alike:  I use the finest (grey)
"Scotch-Brite" pad on a D-A sander to achieve the matte appearance and then
the #33, #1001 and then Zynolyte clear.

Tony