Re: Sprite question/Ignitions

To: Gregory_Schulz@mil-elect-tool.com
Subject: Re: Sprite question/Ignitions
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:07:00 -0700
No, I think you're not reading the follow up messages carefully enough. The
resistor doesn't just drop the voltage, it limits the peak current in the
coil. If you're running a total loss system, you could probably do with less
resistance, but eliminating it could cause burned points, burned distributor
caps, and worse, a brand new burned out coil. The voltage on a battery
doesn't drop linearly over time. It's an electrochemical reaction that
takes place at a specific voltage per cell. The voltage will hold within a
fairly narrow range unitl most of the charge is gone, then drop more
quickly. Another advantage of the points-and-coil system is that it will
fire at a lower voltage than a spiffy modern electronic gizmo that expects
a modern alternator keeping it well fed. I would leave the resistor in and
rig a switch to short it out if you have to restart the car after a spin
with a low battery. Most vintage sessions don't last long enough to drain
a standard car battery. The small racing batteries are another matter, but
these usually get boosted on pre-grid. There's something to think about,
too. If you jump start the car from a booster battery, or the tow rig, you
could well be feeding 15 volts into your coil with no limiting resistor.

I've been running a standard 12 volt car battery (VW bug type) in a Formula
Junior with a total loss system. I've been on the same battery for 5 years.
I charge the battery up between sessions from my tow rig. I have to leave
the resistor in or it's guaranteed to burn points and cap. It's a Mallory,
BTW. The 80 minute rating would almost cover an entire weekend. Charge it
back up between sessions, and you won't have a problem leaving the resistor
in.