Re: drilling exhaust manifold

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: drilling exhaust manifold
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 20:36:35 -0500
Hmmm . .  If it's the steel in the header that's giving you a problem, try
drilling away from the weld area . . if this drills okay, you may have a
"tempered" situation caused by fast-cooling of the weld area.  You can solve
that by annealing the affected area: heating to red hot and cooling slowly.
If it's the weld bead itself that's giving you grief, you may just have a
weld of an extra tough and hard-to-machine metal.  About the best you can do
is grind thru the bead with a high speed die grinder and then finish with
the drill.  Use a slow-speed drill press if possible.  Good luck.
Tony