RE: spins in racing

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: spins in racing
From: "Greg Burrowes, Data Fast" <gregb@datafast.com.au>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:43:16 +1000
Brian Evans wrote:
"When you spin in front of the pack on the first lap, lock up your brakes
and stay off the track.  With your brakes locked you slide in a straight
line, and you don't abruptly spin back onto the track under full power going
some weird direction."

Hear!  Hear!
Please take note.  Brian is absolutley correct.  Not many (new and
old)drivers are told about this, but it can save a lot of grief and car
damage.  With the brakes locked you will continue in a straight line and
probably in your original direction of travel.  Other drivers will be able
to go by you knowing that you will not suddenly achieve tyre grip and turn
into their path.  Once the wheels are locked, the tyres can't tell which way
they are pointing and they will just slide straight.

A flat spotted set of tyres is a lot cheaper than a bunch of bent race cars.
Better to smack a wall than get T-boned.

I learnt this from an experienced driver when I started racing and its saved
me (and others).

Tell me how your 13 months holiday works when someone hits another car.  We
could surely do with that rule down here.

Greg Burrowes
Historic Racing Car Club of Queensland, Australia

And, if you will be in Australia on July 16/17/18 come out to the Queensland
Historics and the new Queensland Raceway.  > 250 historic race cars.  Lots
of races at a great facility.