Re: crack-up at the historics

To: 356drb@indy.net, tmccis@revealed.net
Subject: Re: crack-up at the historics
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:31:35 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/99 10:01:56 PM, 356drb@indy.net writes:

<<Actually, it was Stirling Moss in the 1959 Le Mans winning Aston Martin.
We should all be ashamed of deriding the wrong auto racing icon.>>

    What, do you mean to say that Moss has banged up another car in a vintage
event?  Wasn't it just a year ago that Moss re-arranged some sheetmetal on
someone's Shelby Mustang at a vintage event (was it the Historics?).
    I am going to be very choosy about which racing legends I allow any seat
time in MY car.  (not that I expect to be forced to make such elections any
time soon!) There are a few of them who seem to be getting a "reputation".
At the same time, I think we should recognize that there are also a number of
racing legends that are very active in vintage racing and make great
contributions to our sport both on and off the track.  First and foremost
would have to be Brian Redman who has logged God knows how many miles in some
very fast vintage cars and I don't know if he has ever had an "incident".  I
have tremendous respect for that kind of racing record.  Another name that
comes to mind is Vic Elford.
    The bottom line to all of this is:  1)  Yes, this is still racing and
stuff happens.  2)  If you let someone else drive your pride and joy, you are
taking a chance and it doesn't matter if that guy is Doug Meis or Stirling
Moss, stuff can still happen, although my vintage record seems to be cleaner
than his.  (I would like it if Moss, Hill, et al. were subject to the same
rules and penalties as the rest of us.)

    Doug Meis - Team Escargot
    1967 Honda S800