Re: tires (but not retired)

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tires (but not retired)
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 22:58:14 GMT
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
To: tmatycho@ix.netcom.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Tire Regulations
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 03:28:31 EST

>Under the above, Hoosier Street TDs would not be acceptable ... >Which is
>ironic, since ... Hoosier Street TD's are the most like >vintage bias ply
>race tires....go figure?

Myles et al:

The Hoosier product line is a bit new to me, so maybe I don't understand,
but isn't the Hoosier "VINTAGE TD" really the closest thing to a vintage
bias-ply tire?  And isn't the Vintage TD available in the common vintage
sizes most of us need (it comes in 13" & 15" sizes, in pretty narrow widths
as I recall)?

I'm trying to figure out why some folks seem to be lobbying for the Hoosier
Street TD, rather than the Vintage TD.  Cost? Grip? Is the Street TD a
radial -- do some people prefer radial characteristics?

I'm slightly & very unofficially involved in tire discussions with a couple
vintage clubs here in the East, and I need to understand this better.

Comments anyone?

Regards,
Mark Palmer
MGA #185 usually on skinny, slidey Dunlops (tires are biased, but the driver
isn't)