Re: Speaking of drum brakes...

To: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>, Vintage Race <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speaking of drum brakes...
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:43:07 -0500
I saw a neat thing on Speedvision while couch-potatoing on the weekend.  A
nice drum brake kit designed to house a modern disc brake setup - the whole
disc/caliper fitted inside the drum, which was vented to allow for
cooling.  Perhaps this is an alternative to getting drums re-lined - which
can be done by fully machining out the old lining, turning up a new one and
having it pressed/shrunk into the ally drum.  Key would be finding a
machinist who knows enough about the different rates of expansion of the
materials to get the right mechanical interference fit.  The material is
probably cast iron rather than steel.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if
originals were lined with off-cuts of cast iron waterpipe of suitable size...

Brian