Fire Extinguishers

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Fire Extinguishers
From: "Earl W. Zwickey" <zwickey@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 20:04:37 -0500
How about a discussion of the relative merits of various hand held
fire extinguishers.

I am familiar with dry chemical, halon, and CO2, but Kidde now has
a 2-liter foam unit rated at 8A70B.  My interest is in extinguishers to
have at the shop, in the trailer and in the pits.  I saw these at Lowe's

for approximately $35, which seemed like a better price for more
effectiveness than dry chemical.

http://www.kidde.com/kiddesafetycorp/pages/product-1-example-body.cfm?ProductID=198&ThisArea=27

Halon is great and does not leave a residue, but outside in any kind
of breeze it is not effective.  CO2 is heavy and bulky, and the cold may

run the risk of thermal shock.  Seems like
dry chemical has had the most bang for the buck but has the residue
issue.  This foam extinguisher almost seems too good to be true--is
it?

I don't like the idea of residue, but with an effective and sufficiently

large extinguisher, hopefully there would remain something worth
restoring!

Would appreciate any experience or knowledgeable opinions.

Thanks,
Earl