Re: Early Spitfire Door Handles

To: Rich and Liz Stadther <stadther@pclink.com>
Subject: Re: Early Spitfire Door Handles
From: Jari Tabell <jari.tabell@pp.inet.fi>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 09:34:36 +0300
New ones seem to be pretty difficult to find and as far as I know there are no
repro ones available. I don't know if it's true but I've heard that these
turn-type handles were banned in UK and even all spares were destroyed! For
crash repairs the "official" dealers changed the complete doors to update the
handles. Can anyone confirm this?

Anyway, after my Triumph rollover
(http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jtabell/bo00race.htm) last July, I needed a such
handle too. They _were_ available at Bastuck (http://www.bastuck.de/) in
Germany. Actually I suspect that they were originally for some other car as I
had to weld about 1" extension to the inner "shaft" of it, but the outside
design is identical with Spitfire's. Try Bastuck if you don't find them in US.

Regards

Jari Tabell
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jtabell/
http://www.historicrace.fi/