Re: Summit Point Zoning Woes

To: Stan Hanks <stan@networkmercenaries.com>
Subject: Re: Summit Point Zoning Woes
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 07:26:15 -0600
Stan Hanks wrote:

> > The group is calling themselves Citizens Against Raceway Expansion
>(C.A.R.E.)
> > Under their proposals use of the track would be restricted to 9am - 5pm on
> > Mondays-Saturdays and from noon-5pm on Sundays. Noise levels would be
> > restricted to 65db. They are also looking at restricting the anit terrorist
> > school activities.
>
> Don't tell me that these fine citizens didn't realize that they were buying
> property within earshot of a major racing facility... Sheesh.
>
> What we need is some really good lawyers that happen to be racers. And are
> willing to fight this.
>
> Stan

Blackhawk Farms, in Rockton, Illinois went through a similar fight that lasted
several years. One tactic that the owner used was to ask race participants to
send
a letter to the county zoning board explaining how many times a year thy
participated at that facility and how many dollars they spent in the county each
time they participated. I don't know how much effect that had on the zoning
board's
decision, but the track is still very alive and well.

By the way, for a number of years that track has operated under an 8:00 am to
6:00
pm (I think) no-open-exhaust rule, and monitors sound level trackside. These are
easy regulations to live with. Likewise, Gingerman, in western Michigan, has a
rule
prohibiting open exhausts before 10:00 am Sunday, and for every violation the
track
mus make a stipulated contribution to a nearby church. Racers generally don't
object to that, either.

--

uncle jack

The Attorney General advises that vintage racing may be hazardous to your
wealth.