Re: seat

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: seat
From: "MalcolmCox" <malcox@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 23:34:25 -0800
The West coast clubs which Malaboge referred to I think are HMSA and
CSRG.
I have been running with a deeply bucketted seat of somewhat modern
construction, from which the headrest had been chopped off. ( my Roll
bar has a built in headrest anyway) I have run with this seat probably
20 CSRG weekends, several VARAS events, Seattle and Portland, without
comment.

HMSA (club event) on the other hand took one look at it and told me to
replace it with a MG seat, which I dutifully do for very HMSA event,
at great cost to driving pleasure!
However I have noticed that at HMSA events, many cars run with
obviously non vintage seats.

>From which I conclude:
As long as it looks somewhat vintage-like at 20 feet, groups will
probably not complain.
I think the red flags, for production cars anyway, are integrated
headrest, bare fiberglass or aluminum.

Since my earlier (non MGA) seat is falling to pieces, I bought a
Kireky Economy, from Summit Racing for $89 as I recall, bare aluminum,
around 1/8 thick.
This has to be a hell of a deal, its built like a tank.
I dont remember what angle I got, but it was the style with large
extensions at the side for the legs and "wraparound extendions around
the upper chest, and also an integrated head rest.

So to make it look somewhat vintage, I have chopped off the integrated
headrest, and lopped off the generous and intrusive side ears.
Once I have firmed up on mounting, crotch strap anchor etc, I plan to
get the local upholstery store to cover it in some foam and vinyl with
ribbed pleats etc.
Hopefully I will then have a purdy, strong, safe and relatively cheap
seat.
Thats my brain dump on seats ( messy! )
Malcolm

came with the big ears