Re: RHD...a different view

To: Erichreich@aol.com
Subject: Re: RHD...a different view
From: LMR356@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:27:36 EST
In a message dated 1/26/01 12:30:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Erichreich@aol.com writes:

> My concern is making the transition from LHD to RHD under race conditions.
> Any thoughts/comments/experience?  Thanks in advance. Erich.

Erich...Driving a RHD is fun...especially on the tracks that are going
clockwise  with more right hand turns ( like Lime Rock Park) ...which allows
you to actually see and reallly clip the apexes.  Learning to shift with your
left hand...and getting the feel for the shift gate will take some seat time
too.  Of course on anti-clockwise tracks with more left handers...you give
the visibility advantage up to your LHD competitor next to you.

It's really an easy change from a LHD vehicle on the track...but a bit more
difficult on the street...especially trying to make those left hand turns
against oncoming traffic.

Perhaps the most important adjustment is to remember which side to enter
every time...otherwise you look pretty damn stupid hunting for the steering
wheel and some pedals on the passenger side!  Good luck.....

Lee Raskin
Former 1939 Morgan 4/4 vintage racer owner.