Re: Cheap Tow Rig For Sale

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cheap Tow Rig For Sale
From: "Tom Crain" <tomcrain@gulftel.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:11:36 -0600
For Sale
Heavy Duty C-20 (3/4 Ton) Chevy Suburban with Factory Tow Package*

*The Factory Tow Package combined the > Ton Frame with  1 Ton Suspension,
running gear and brakes for a 12,000 pound Towing capacity.

1981 Chevrolet Suburban Silverado
Tilt
Cruise
Power steering, brakes,  windows,  door locks and rear window
Intermittent windshield wipers
Electric trailer brakes
454 Cubic Inch (7.5 Liter) engine
Turbo 400 automatic transmission
Miles 194,000 original miles.

Truck's History:
Bought new by the manager of Channel 10 TV in Springfield, MO with the idea
of pulling an RV, the original owner never bought the RV and instead used
the truck to pull his 16 foot aluminum fishing boat and occassionally to
commute to and from work.  He traded the vehicle with 55,000 original miles
to Dennis Hanks Chevy in Ozark, MO in 1991 where it was purchased by a
friend of mine who owned several cars, trucks and motorcycles as something
with which to pull his 24 foot Century boat.  In a year he put less than
2,000 miles on the truck and pulled his boat less than half a dozen times
and then sold it to me.

Since 92 the truck has been a daily driver used to haul customers showing
real estate, as the family road trip machine and with the exception of
pulling a 28 foot boat to and from the  Cotton Bayou Boat ramp and one trip
pulling it to Orange Beach from Biloxi, has never pulled anything  other
than a 19 foot runabout or a 6x9 foot utility trailer.

Replacements:
I replaced the tires at 112,000 and again in August of 2000 since which I
have put about 4,000 miles on the truck.
Engine: The engine was replaced with a new GM 454 (not a rebuilt motor) at
142,000 miles.
Brakes: The front rotors and caliper pads and rear brake shoes were replaced
at around 140,000 miles.  Randy (@ Coastal Automotive) told me he believed
the rotors and rear brakes to be the original equipment.  The master
cylinder has since been replaced.
Air Conditioning:  The entire system, compressor, evaporater, dryer and
hoses were replaced by Coastal Automotive.
Alternator:  Replaced shortly after I bought it with a lifetime guarantee
unit from Western Auto. A spare (new rebuild in its original box) is
included.
Water pump; By Chevy dealer in Pine Bluff, AR 1999.
Power Steering pump and smog pump when engine was replaced.
Drive shaft yoke: 1994 or 95

Spare parts: New rebuilt alternater, new original equipment hood release
cable.

Maintenance:  Oil changes every 3,000 miles, (Castrol 10-40)  Transmission
flued/filter changed every 30,000 miles or 12 months.

What I enjoyed about the truck:  While I never came close to needing all the
heavy duty towing capacity, those heavy duty components had extremely long
life spans in the light use I gave the truck.  In addition, it was rock
solid on the highway and not at all subject to body sway or wind buffeting
that = ton Suburbans suffer from.  It was a very confortable vehickle to
drive or ride in on a long trip and made countelss trips to and  from
Missouri, Canada and Indiana.

The truck is no longer new, but is still a great vehicle for fishing,
hunting, hauling tools, boats, materials or about anything you care to back
up to and latch onto.  I replaced it with a new 2001 GMC 2500HD with all the
same heavy duty towing capabilities.

Truck is located in Orange Beach, AL
Price:  $2,500.

Tom Crain
334-942-6744 (Cell#)
334-948-5000 (Office)
334-981-2044 (Home) An answering machine will take your call, I rarely get
there before 7:30 or 8:00 PM CST and I leave before daylight.