Re: Vintage Racing?

To: John Rosevear <jrosevear@thinkinginvestments.com>
Subject: Re: Vintage Racing?
From: Grant Reynolds <grant62@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:20:28 -0500
John Rosevear wrote:

> could it also be that SCCA racing is cutthroat, cheating is widespread,
> bumping (and worse) is commonplace, and respect for fellow competitors is an
> anachronism?  could it be that this is what has driven many of us who just
> want to test our skills and enjoy a weekend at the track in the company of
> grownups to consider vintage racing?

SCCA is a big place. All of those exist in some places and not in
others. Cheating is not, in my experience as a driver and a steward,
nowhere near as common as gossip about it. It is more agressive and
intense than vintage racing. Some people like that, some don't. Bumping
is too common in some groups, like IT and SRF(known fondly to vintage
drivers as "wreck racer Ford"). The concept of "just racing" allows
major accidents to pass without penalty when neither party was
negligent. I liked SCCA racing a lot. It was intense but only on the
track; I raced with a great bunch of guys(MARRS Formula Vee) who did not
bump but could race 20 laps within 6 inches of each other without
touching or even scaring each other. However, I sold my car to one of my
crew and am concentrating on vintage racing. Big difference for me:
track time. A MARRS race gave me less than an hour in two days; vintage
racing gives me 2 to 3 and a half hours in three days for a comparable
entry fee per day.  I also prefer to look at vintage cars than at
ex-commuters. I see the latter on the Beltway all the time.
Grant Reynolds