Re: Vintage Racing...it's only relative

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: Vintage Racing...it's only relative
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:20:17 +0000
Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> Well, since we're dragging out car prices from the past, it must be time for
> me to dust off this list again.  A few years ago I happened to drive to my
> father's house in Indianapolis, and had some room to bring some stuff back
> with me to Salt Lake.  One box had my old train set, wrapped in newspapers
> from September of 1973.  I couldn't resist checking the classifieds:
>
> '67 Chevelle, 396, 4 spd. $950
>
> '67 Corvette conv. air, power windows, 427, $2,300
>
> Ferrari, 1959 250 GT, 12 cyl. 2 passenger, excel. cond. $4,950
>
> '53 Jag XK120 show car, $3,395
>
> '56 Morgan Plus 4, excel. orig. condition, $3,500
>
> '64 MGB New red paint, new top, luggage rack, very fast, $1,000
>
> '59 MGA, engine good, body needs work $500
>
> '58 Porsche, runs good, $850
>
> '60 Triumph, 4 spd., looks, runs perfect  $300
>
> '64 TR4 wire wheels, new paint, tires, $750
>
> '64 TR4 Rebuilt, mech. perfect, new tires, no rust $850
>
> In 1973 I think I grossed $1,650 US Dollars or thereabouts.  So a rust free,
> mechanically perfect TR4 would have been half my annual salary.  These days
> a perfect TR4 would likely be less than one fourth my annual income.  Wish
> I could say the same for the Ferrari.
>
> mjb.

............and there is a guy in Rock Island, IL who hit it just right. He's
about 90 years old right now, and in the period I've known him has owned a
string of wonderful vintage cars -- right now an Auburn Speedster, a Brush, etc.
He is a person who always had a very humble job and no inheritance -- but he
bought a Duesenberg J for $5000 a number of years ago and financed a life of
neat cars from its appreciation........

--

uncle jack and New Blue