RE: RE FLYING RACE CARS

To: "'Pat Ryan'" <pat@prismacars.com>
Subject: RE: RE FLYING RACE CARS
From: "McNaughton, W.J." <WJMcNaughton@SmithLyons.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:30:34 -0500
It was one of Comstock's Sadler mkVs, I believe in their first year, and
effectively reduced them to a one car plus maybe a FJ team for a while. Just
spoke to EPPIE WIETZES who joined Comstock in '63 and he feels it was before
his time so probably '61 or '62. Other famous flyers at Mosport in the early
60's included John Surtees who's Lola did a brief 1/2 barrel roll as it went
off the top of the embankment at corner 1 and Jim Hall,s rear engined
Chapparal(sp?)at corner 9. Surtees didn't wear a belt,neatly tucked it
behind the seat and was only 1/2 out of the car when it landed upside down.
Lorenzo Bandini who also didn't wear  the seatbelt,who had stopped and was
standing on the top of the embankment as the ambulance crew removed Surtees
is alleged to have said to a marshall "You think maybe I should wear the
belt in these?"
   Bill
(Haven't heard "Fumbler" in years. May even have some pictures of it in
taxiing mode but unfortunatly, because of course one will never forget these
things,I never catalogued the negatives by driver or car so they are now a
collection of negatives in envelopes labeled Players 63 etc. and some
similarly labeled contact sheets-- another great project to add to the list)