Re: 10ths and VMC

To: LMR356@aol.com
Subject: Re: 10ths and VMC
From: "Richard Buckingham, Jr." <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 16:29:37 -0800
Dear Lee, I know your posting was to Peter, but since I too am at the VMC
meeting in Denver and since I was VMC President  in 1998 and 1999, I thought I
would respond to your e-mail.  As for back-ground, I have been the SOVREN
representative to the VMC since 1991 and have served as VP as well as
President.  During that time, I have only missed two meetings  out of probably
18.  I believe that the VMC is an invaluable "clearing house" to us all.  If you
are not getting information about the VMC, it is because your member club
(VSCCA) and its representative (Don Nattress) aren't disseminating it. to its
membership, or they are disseminating it, but you are missing it.  It is up to
the individual representatives of the member organizations (22 in number) to
carry back to their own organization what they have learned at the VMC.

You never were a member of the VMC.  Individuals aren't members!  Per the VMC
bylaws, only organizations putting on vintage events can apply for membership.
I assume that you had a VMC license and that is what you mean by membership.
The purpose of that license is to allow you to race with any member
organization.  If your raced with anyone besides VSCCA, then I presume your VMC
license was acceptable and did what it is supposed to do.  There is no
publication of the VMC.  Approximately six times in the last eight years, there
has been a VMC newsletter which contained a license application, mechanical
failures report, a schedule of member organization events, and a list of
members.  The only reason that we have had the newsletter was to up the
awareness of the VMC--obviously, it didn't work in your case.  The VMC is not
for the individual racer but rather a forum for the exchange of information by
those that put on vintage races.

As for the VMC being an excuse for a social function, I don't think that could
be further from the truth.  We do socialize at the meetings, but I don't think
there is a single representative who would show up for that reason alone.  All
of the representatives that I have worked with in the past 10 years have been
dedicated to making vintage racing safer and more fun for the participants.  The
workings of the VMC center around solving common problems: insurance,
conflicting dates, track relations, dealing with aggressive and dangerous
driving, school programs, licensing, medical issues, recognition of
contributions to the sport, etc.  I can tell you that there are no things that
all VMC members agree on, but the getting together to discuss mutual problems
benefits us all, and I never fail to take home something that I don't try to
incorporate in the way SOVREN runs its events.

I hope this information is of use to you ad that Peter won't be upset that I
jumped in.

Dick Buckingham, Jr., MD
Race Chairman - SOVREN
Past President - VMC