Re: Tow Vehicle Tires

To: "David Bondon" <david.bondon@mindspring.com>, <JWoesvra@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle Tires
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@home.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 08:38:13 -0700
David,
I have Michelin LTX A/T LT245/75 R16 tires on my '94 Dodge Ram pickup
4X4. I've had them about 18 months now. 10k+ miles on them and they
still look new. I'm anticipating 40k+ minimum before I need
replacement. I run them at 75psi all around, and 80psi on the rear
when towing.

My configuration is an 11 foot cabover camper, plus either a 16' car
trailer with 2000# Sunbeam Alpine (plus about 300# of spares) or a 23'
Bayliner cabin cruiser. In either configuration I've got at least
8000#, probably more, supported by the truck tires.

Prior to the Michelin's I used Big 'O' tires (M+S, 6 ply rating),
which are made by Kelly Springfield. I had one on the right rear
explode a couple years ago while towing the boat. That did almost
$3000.00 damage to the truck. I replaced all 4 tires, and within 5000
miles was experiencing blistering of the sidewalls and tread
separation. I replaced all four with a different Big 'O' (again, M+S,
6 ply rating) and experienced the same blistering and tread
separation. To say the least, I wasn't a happy camper (sic)!

Thus far, the Michelin's have been "bulletproof"!!
    Carl