Re: Flywheel Explosions

Subject: Re: Flywheel Explosions
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@home.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 22:49:56 -0400
Mike Cobine wrote:

> Same with NHRA except I think they may require even on rear engine cars as a
> flywheel into the crowd of 20,000 doesn't make for good headlines.  How
> about some drag racers in here?

"Anything" mechanical breaking at high speed can lead to dangerous missiles.
Way back in the 60's when I was a member of the Ramchargers drag team we were
at a drag race at
a half mile oval. We were pitted on the unused side of the oval. A competing
car blew an engine
and a valve spring flew across and hit one of our members in the eye
(fortunately without loss
of sight). There was a perceptible time lag  (1 sec?) between hearing the
explosion, all of us
turning to look, and one of us getting hit.
Derek