Re: Cross-drilled Brake Rotors or pad slots anyone?

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cross-drilled Brake Rotors or pad slots anyone?
From: "MalcolmCox" <malcox@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:06:59 -0700
I always believed that cross drilled ( and/or grooved) rotors were to release
outgassing from the
pads, to minimise the "hovercraft" effect.
Perhaps that was a problem of yesteryear.
I understand that on street moptorcycles, it is done primarily to aid rapid
wiping of a wet disk.

On my MGA, lacking holes/slots, I have been been advised that I should hacksaw
cross slots across
the brake pad to allow an "exhaust vent" for the outgassing. Once, when I
couldnt be bothered to cut
the slots, there was clear evidence of the pad material surface cracking,
though that may have been
from 200 other variables, none of which were controlled.
Any comments on pad slots?
Malcolm