Re: steering wheel

To: JWoesvra@aol.com, LenPicton@aol.com
Subject: Re: steering wheel
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 03:15:44 +0000
Jack et al,

We had a serious accident a few years ago in VSCCA, when a Fraser Nash
(chain drive) locked the rear axle, spun, & rolled/flipped.  The driver had
multiple injuries, including puncture wound of his cheek (clear through to
inside of mouth) because the wood-rim wheel split & raw edge punctured him.
The steering wheel was whipped back & forth by the front wheels impacting
the ground.  The wheels was the more dangerous type design, without a solid
steel rim -- just unsupported wood between the spokes.  Of course, the
situation was influenced by the fact that it was a Pre-war car, no roll bar,
therefore no shoulder straps, and the driver was using an open-face helmet.

I make no judgements on the decisions that driver made about his equipment,
I am just reporting the facts & outcome for the benefit of others who may be
considering a wooden wheel.

Regards,
Mark Palmer