RE: CART & Open Wheel Racing

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: CART & Open Wheel Racing
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:37:37 -0700
I am disappointed to here of the recent negative experiences with CART. I
had an opportunity to work as a press volunteer for the promotor at the
Portland race for several years and worked as a photographer at the Portland
and Vancouver events in the early 90's.

I found everyone involved to generally be friendly and helpful. The only
trouble I had was with the security types who could not be convinced the
'all access' credential really meant just that...Just stay outta Wally's
way!

I have been disturbed by the large number of needless wrecks in CART and the
IRL this year, Formula One cars are never close enough to have contact after
the first lap. I became a F1 fan watching Mansell, Senna, Prost and Piquet
battle it out. Passing or 'battles' seem to be a thing of the past in F1.
The closest open wheel racing I've seen this year is...and I hate to admit
it...in the IRL. The event usually ends with all the leaders taking each
other out after some breathtaking manuevers.

I think it would be a great thing for the open wheel pro guys to get their
act together and get on with a good show!

Cheers,

Brad
62 TR4

///