Re: Aerial photos

To: smithspeedway@yahoo.com, beauregard43444542@yahoo.com,
Subject: Re: Aerial photos
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:31:01 +0000
Since I sort of created this mess, maybe I ought to try to help Steve out a
little.

Before requesting an aerial shot of your favorite track from Steve, why not
try to help yourself.  Go to www.terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com  Key in the
address of the track (in most cases, just the town and state will get you
close enough -- but street address might help if you have it).  Pan around
to locate the track, then zoom in.  Then select the "print" option (upper
right of photo) to get a larger, printable version of the aerial photo.  Use
the print button on your browser to print it.

So far, I have found nearly every track I was seeking, on this web site.
Usually with the second closest zoom setting you can capture the whole
track.  The closest zoom helps in looking at individual corners.

Be sure to use terraserver.homeadvisor.msn  I have also tried just plain
www.terraserver.com, it works similarly but does NOT have anywhere near the
geographic coverage of the "homeadvisor" version.  There is a third version,
www.terraserver.microsoft.com, which I have not tried yet.

The aerial photos are from various years, looks like mostly early 1990's, so
you may even find some tracks that are now closed (e.g. I haven't looked for
Bridgehampton yet but I'll bet it's in there) and you might find the remains
of places like Marlboro or the road course at Thompson, I don't know.

Happy hunting, and maybe we can burden Steve with just the hard-to-find
tracks (like New Hampshire, which I haven't found anywhere yet).

Regards,
Mark Palmer