Re: alternator

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: alternator
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:43:14 -0500
This is exactly the point I'm trying to understand, and get an answer
for.  Our regional rules (CASC) state that the main cut-off switch must cut
off the alternator as well as the battery, and I'm trying to figure a way
to do that.  Lot's of people run alternators, so some-one must have figured
this out...:)

Brian

At 12:34 PM 3/19/02, you wrote:
>Brian:
>
>I haven't actually tried that, as it could damage the electronic ignition,
>rev-limiter, and tach.  I have my main cut-off switch between the battery
>ground terminal and the chassis, disconnecting the battery only.  If you
>disconnected this switch with the engine running, this would be similar to a
>condition known as "load dump".  In this case the alternator tries to charge
>an infinite load.  With the battery disconnected, the alternator voltage
>output rises (also due to the fact its a huge inductor), and the voltage can
>go as high as 120V  for a brief spike.  This would almost certainly fry any
>and all 12V devices connected.
>
>The main power cut-off switch does not disconnect the alternator from the
>rest of the electrical system, nor was that its intent.  The ignition switch
>is still the best and only way to shut off the engine.  You bring up an
>interesting issue, however.  You would have to wire another heavy duty relay
>(like a standalone starter solenoid) between the main alternator output and
>the vehicle electrical system, with its coil energized via the cut-off switch
>to also disconnect it with the external cut-off switch.
>
>Regards,
>Myles

Brian Evans
Director, Canada