Re: Tow vechile. 5.8 litre Ford any good?

To: Walt Boeninger <walt_boeninger@hp.com>, <VEENET@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Tow vechile. 5.8 litre Ford any good?
From: Brett Johnson <356drb@indy.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:06:20 -0800
on 4/24/02 11:44 AM, Walt Boeninger at walt_boeninger@hp.com wrote:

> That's the venerable 351W ford motor.  Plenty adequate for a open
> trailer... perhaps a bit light for a 20+ footer enclosed.
>
> The 351 is very common, parts and service everywhere.
>
> VEENET@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to look at a 1989 Ford Club wagon tomorrow. 115K miles, XLT
>> package, 5.8 litre V8 (how many cubic inches is that anyway?)......All the
>> bells and whistles..tow package etc.........
>> Anyone have an opinion on that engine? ....I'm not familiar with it.......
>> Anything I should look for in particular?........Asking price is
>> $3800.........
>> All free advice gladly listened to.........
>> Thanks,
>> Jerry Burr.......

I used a 92 reformed airport limo for five years.  It did not have the tow
package and with  enclosed trailer through the mountains the transmission
overheats and shuts down the engine.  No problems ever with flat trailer.
Check out front ball joints -- at 120K we are getting our second set as I
write.  Other than that -- one transmission rebuild, one tune up, one A/C
recharge, one frozen back brake adjuster (put on parking brake every now and
then & it doesn't happen) -- in ten years.  Very nice/quiet ride.  It
happily carried 4,000 + lbs. of books many times.

Brett Johnson
1998 F-350 dually diesel 4x4 -- new tow vehicle -- bigger trailer!