Re: Saab

To: s800racer@earthlink.net, WSpohn4@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Saab
From: Stefanv@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:38:06 EDT
In a message dated 6/26/2002 12:15:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
s800racer@earthlink.net writes:

<< > The V4 gave the Sonett similar performance to the other funny little
sporty
 > cars of the day and SAAB offered (through their Sport and Rally Catalog)
the
 > parts to turn it into an honest firebreather (proven in international
 > competition).

 I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the original SAAB Sonett's that were
 definitely sports cars.  I believe Saab made 6 of them before someone in
 product planning pointed out that it was pretty silly for any Scandinavian
 car company to make open sports cars.

     Doug Meis >>

Yep,
Since it never made it into real production, I passed on mentioning it.

The reason it wasn't produced however, had nothing to do with the
questionable decision of an open car (no convertible) in a snowy land... and
everything to do with  an overnight rules change.  The introduction of Group
3 in 1957 meant that SAAB could tune one of their production sedans and it
would be competitive.  A much cheaper solution than producing a whole new car
just for racing.  The result was the  93 GT750.

Go figure... a racing rules change killed a sports car, and birthed a
"factory tuned"    sedan instead.

The Sonett was advanced for its day (1957) and won most of the few races it
ran...

Aluminum monocoque chassis,
Streamlined fiberglass body,
Car weight of under 500 kilos
59 bhp,
0-50 mph - 8 sec,
0-62 mph - 12 sec,
Standing quarter mile - 18 sec,
Standing kilometre - 34 sec,
Top speed (depending on gearing) 112-133mph.

The following URLs are a few pictures I've taken of Bill Jacobson's Sonett I
(chassis #6) on the race track.  The first two are at the Pittsburgh Vintage
Grand Prix, the last one is at Pocono Raceway.

http://members.aol.com/stefanv/images/sonett1a.jpg
http://members.aol.com/stefanv/images/sonett1blur.jpg
http://members.aol.com/stefanv/images/sonett1tyds.jpg

-STEFAN