Re: Overheating

To: cwright@pdghightower.com
Subject: Re: Overheating
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:19:25 EDT
Craig,
If you elect to try another rad Afco Racing does inexpensive Aluminum rads.
I got a nice 11x22 for $250.00.  They're about the best pricing I've seen.
Steve Smith

<< I'm running a '66 GT350 with about 425 hp. Right now I'm using a new
Griffin 2 row (1.25"
 tubes) radiator that fits in the original opening. I do not want to modify
the original
 opening. The engine is fresh, the pump use an enclosed impeller, the pump
speed is reduced
 to about 50% engine speed, the intake hose has a spring to prevent
collapsing, I can run a
 5/8" orifice or a thermostat with the same results. With a 20# cap I get
runaway
 overheating on the track (High speed track, Willow Springs) after 7 laps
with an air
 temperature of 96 and track temp of 133.

 When I go to a 30# cap the temperature steadies out at 215-220. The gauge is
verified
 correct. I would like to get a little more margin. Does anyone have any
feedback of the
 pros and cons of various radiators. I notice that Fluidyne makes a three row
to fit the
 original opening but at $600 a shot I'm getting leery of just replacing
parts on a guess. >>