Re: dual gauge leak down test help

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: dual gauge leak down test help
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:55:52 -0500
I "reverse engineered" a commercial leakdown tester and built a unit for my
own use.  The particular one that I copied was set up for a 60 psi input
pressure.  I did  "A-B testing" in order to determine the flow rate of the
orifice since I didn't want to take the high-priced unit apart for
measurement.  I found the units flowed the same when I used a orifice of
.043".  Your experience will likely vary.
The test gauge was calibrated:

60 psi =   0%  leakdown
30 psi =  50% leakdown
  0 psi= 100% leakdown
   and all the intermediate calibrations . .

I believe that the pressures and calibrations are arbitrary and not to be
viewed as  absolute true data but the tool is a great diagnostic aid and
basis for comparison.

I found  "Aircraft Spruce" sells a neat tester for "cheap" after I built
mine.

Use a restraint to keep the motor from unexpectedly revolving with the air
pressure.

Tony Clark