Alternator pulley dia.?

To: "list" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternator pulley dia.?
From: "Kelvin Palmer" <KelvinPalmer@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 06:15:55 -0500
Hi All,
I run a stock Lucas alternator on my MGB racer (and don't spend
any time or effort charging/swapping batteries).  Any thoughts on
the value of decreasing alternator RPMs with a larger pulley?

If it is a worthwhile mod, are there any simple sources for a
larger diameter pulley that just works?  Same shaft opening/keyway,
same axial spacing for the belt, same belt groove width, etc.

Frankly, I've done about 5000 race miles as is and everything's
fine but I'm sure that alternator is just screaming in there.

Thanks,
Kelvin Palmer
Riverwoods, IL
MGB #34 Blue