Re: Alloy Sumps

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alloy Sumps
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:05:47 EST
In a message dated 17/12/02 2:21:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Rogsie@telesistech.com writes:

> Not many steel pans lying around for Coventry Climax motors. I'm sure they
> add a considerable structure to the alloy block.

I think that's likely the case with many alloy engine blocks - some even
benefit from a relatively thin steel spacer between the block and pan. I
doubt that many cast iron blocks (MG, Jag, Triumph) gain anything but weight
from hte nice looking alloy pan, though.

Speaking of pans, then there are the MG guys that read the old special tuning
books, which were based on rally and long distance racing, and figure that
they just have to have an extra depth steel pan.....which then sticks down
past the frame, so that when they go off-road, they are SURE to whang it.

With many of them, explaining that the customary 4 quarts in the stock
system, plus filter and cooler, is just dandy for 20 minute or half hour is a
waste of breath. And when they DO go off and prang the deep sump, it's best
not to mention it - they've been known to throw rocks!

Bill