Re: Dual Porker

To: "Vintage Race" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dual Porker
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:43:46 -0600
My personal all-time-favorite-dual-engine experiment:

There was a dragster built, late 50s, early 60s, with a front-located Chevy
driving a conventional transmission.  Where it got funny was that there was
a huge Olds directly connected to a pinion shaft which entered the
fabricated diff case from the rear where it drove the same ring gear as the
front motor.   The theory was that the Olds would "start" as soon as the
driver dropped the clutch and would deliver great gobs of torque throughout
the quarter while the Chevy was doing it's tight winding horsepower thing
through 3 gear shifts . .

Since the design didn't exactly "catch on", I have a feeling the concept
wasn't very productive.

Tony