Re: Vintage tires

To: Bill Glanville <mgbill@mgcarclub.com>,
Subject: Re: Vintage tires
From: Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 09:25:59 -0500
on 5/6/03 1:47 PM, Bill Glanville at mgbill@mgcarclub.com wrote:

> At Savannah a few weeks ago I wore out the Yoko 008's that I had been running
> on my Midget. I purchased the car last spring & it was shod with these very
> used Yoko 008RS's, previous owner thought I would get a weekend out of them
> but I got 5 weekends from them. I know what my race group allows & have
> re-read the Grassroot article on tires several times. Now my question is about
> tire wear. The article notes that the Hoosiers had a lot of tread wear but
> were cheaper. Would it be cost effective to go to the higher priced Dunlops or
> Avons? Or is wear more dependant on driving style & skill? Also neeed some
> advice on suspension changes when going to bias ply, looks like I'll need to
> change camber. What are you Spridget guys running for tires & suspension
> geoometry?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill Glanville
> #191 Midget

Hi Bill,
    I was at Savannah (Honda S800) and finally wore out my Hoosiers after 10
race weekends (& way too many heat cycles).  They hold up very well on
small-bore cars.  I put a fresh set on the car Saturday and found that the
worn out set was about a half second/lap slower than the fresh set.

 --
Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>