Re: trailer worries

To: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>,
Subject: Re: trailer worries
From: Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:33:19 -0500
on 8/13/03 12:54 PM, Daniel Thompson at dthompson@gbc.ca wrote:

> Here's the scenario, I want to know from experienced race car haulers if I'm
> going to get in trouble:
>
> -          small production car vintage racer weighs 1,400 pounds. Trailer
> is lightweight single axle, no brakes, weighs 600 pounds, trailer claimed by
> manufacturer to hold 2100 pounds max. Seller says package can be towed by a
> car or minivan using class II hitch.
> -          tow vehicle is 2003 Honda Odyssey with tow package, maximum
> towable weight 3500 pounds.
>
> Looks OK on paper. Will this thing tow well at 2,000 pounds, even without
> brakes? Or am I asking for trouble?

    I tow a 1,500lb production car on a 1,200lb flatbed dual axle with my
Honda Odyssey.  On my last trip, I realized that the brakes need servicing
as they were doing almost nothing.  But even with almost no trailer brakes,
I really did not have any problems.  I think you'll be fine.  Oh, and I have
a '99 Odyssey with rear drum brakes.  Your '03 has 4-wheel discs.
 --
Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>