RE:

To: "'Richard Newton'" <rfn026@yahoo.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:
From: "Pat Ryan" <pat@prismacars.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:14:06 -0500
Hmm, SVRA had 470 cars at Watkins Glen last weekend.  HSR had 150 at the
Glen in June.  Guess maybe all those Porsche high tech cars aren't
enough to make a difference.  To win you have to keep trying to outspend
the guys with magnesium this and carbon fiber that.  Discourages what
would be long term but lower budget racers.  Short half-life.

Group 6 had 60 cars and 5-10 more on a waiting list.  Maybe 25 were
Corvettes.  All with documented history. They were prepared to Group 6
rules with one or two exceptions and a few got caught.  Rules that have
not changed since 1991 and are enforced primarily by "PEER PRESSURE" and
a little bit of technical measuring and checking.  Several of us have
been racing there for more than 10 years now and it is just as much fun
as ever.

Pat Ryan
________________________
Congratulation to Bruce for bringing some sanity to this discussion. My
feeling is that we have museums for cars. We also have race tracks for
cars.

A few decades back the Corvette owners in SVARA got real fussy about
what was a "real" race car. The result has been very few Corvettes are
now involved in vintage racing. The owners of the really significant
Corvettes just decided to skip the whole exercise. Almost all these
significant Corvettes are now stored in museums and private garages and
never brought out to the track.

HSR on the other hand has let every single Porsche that even resembles a
race car compete. The result is that they have full fields. Friends of
mine kid me that it's becoming hard to tell the difference between a
Porsche club event and an HSR event. All of us know though which group
has been the most succesful over the past few years. When SVRA was
purchased by HSR that sort of made things clear.

On the other hand we have VSCCA that is really a private club for a few
slect individuals. They have a lot of fun too. They don't even bother
with basic safety which is why they concenetrate on the old small bore
stuff. Hey- it works for them.

We're now at the point where we have enough vintage events that everyone
can find a home. If you don't like the way a group is going join another
group. We seem to have found a solution and that solution is  in having
a number of groups sanctioning a variety of events.

We can have the Pittsburgh Grand Prx for the old fussy guys and we can
run with HSR if all we want to do is drive fast. SVRA has gotten itself
in the middle and that works too.

Richard Newton