Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds

To: Rogsie@telesistech.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds
From: Rmvr53@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 21:52:37 EDT
In a message dated 9/9/2003 3:23:07 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
Rogsie@telesistech.com writes:

> And Bill, that is one reason I will not be hauling my original team
> Lotus, Eleven S2 LeMans to Colorado to race w/ you. There are much more
> valuable cars than Lotus Elevens and one big reason we see most of them
> so seldom is because of who they were forced to race with. But on the
> other side of the coin, there are much cheaper ways to be on track in
> "vintage" racing than a Lotus Eleven

<snip>

you missed the point Roger. I agree that most people with the significant
history cars will only run them at "premium events" where a sizable number of
similar age/pedigree cars will be participating, usually within the same
controled-entry run-group. But the point is to see the old cars RACING. Having
been
too young to enjoy D types, Testerosa's and the like on the track in the
mid-late 50's (I had my own race going in the dirt in the in-field with my
Matchbox
cars thankyou ...), I greatly enjoyed watching the race that WAS on the track
at the HSR event several years back. Now, unless I go to Goodwood (fat chance)
seeing that kind of exercising ain't gonna happen here in the states. Do I
want to see a grid full of kits/replica's?...no. An aluminum bodied Westfield
is
a very fine car and to the untrained "looks" just like a Lotus 11. Same for a
Lynx D. My point was I'd rather see the latter on a track than the "real
thing" rotting away like a trophy on a mantle somewhere if those were the only
2
choices..and lapping at a brisk-pace with limited passing I consider the same
thing as a mantle.

Replica/kit racing has its own place and its own following. We who race
"real" race cars (with or without "original period" history) have our own
events.
Can we allow the line to be crossed on occasion? ... I think so..so long as
there is no miss-representation of the kit/replica/fake/what have you. To cross
that line I feel the preperation/presentation would have to period accurate
and, in the case of a similar "real" car participating in the event, at the
agreement of the other participant(s) with the "real" car.

RMVR does not allow "kits" to participate that do not have period race
history. We have a LaDari, several Ambro's and I have heard there is a Jamaican
on a
TR3 chassis being restored for vintage racing locally (all with
"documented/period- 1967 and prior" race history). RMVR does not accept
"period-correct"
continuation or "parts cars" (cars from the period that are assembled with
"original" parts but was not assembled as a car in the original time frame).
Along
this topic...this is a whole new can of worms we won't approach at this time.

RMVR usually has 4-7 Sports Racers at an event excluding the above cars. We
have Lotus, Beach, Elva, Elden, PBS, Bobsy, Miller (and someday my Zinks) just
to name a few. They are classed with the production cars (thats what they ran
with most of the time in the 60's) and run in our fast small bore group
(CP,DP) or they have the option to run with the Vee's and fast formula cars
(FSV,F2,F5000, etc)..but they all run together..in one of the 2 groups. "FAST"
SR's as
in McLaren's, Lola's, etc., can run in whatever run-group they want to
independent of all other class' of cars/SR's...safety considered the first and
formost factor for these cars. When we get over 10 SR cars consistently .. then
we'll get our own run group.

As far as significant history cars running with RMVR...we have many ..and
they run the track-only and spectator events alike all season. Most are not
"Team
Lotus" cars, but they carved their niche in history just the same and still
carry names on the side such as Fitipaldi, Hobbs, Jones or Lazier...

Bill Fleming  RMVR

65 Zink Z-4  CSR, FWA powered chassis 3 of 3 Ex Ralph Miller
68 Zink Z-5  FV, one of many... Ex Ed Privette
69 Zink Z-8  VeeSR, chassis 2 of 2 (AKA "The Tarantula")
73 Zink Z-10 FF, one of 1st four Z-10's
74 Zink Z-12 FV, Prototype #2  - Ex Lazier (Bob, Buddy and Jacque)