Re: Coolant and corrosion inhibitors?

To: vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Coolant and corrosion inhibitors?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:20:53 EDT
In a message dated 27/07/2004 11:22:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
britbits@tiu.net writes:

I know  that when I run straight water in my Mini Cooper for more than
about 48  hours I get nice orange water back out....  some of it is
probably 40  years of old corrosion going back into solution.. but I don't
like to make  it any worse.

____________________________________

I use cast iron block engines with alloy heads - a sure problem if you  don't
have anti-corrosion protection.

I never bought the argument about antifreeze being slippery - I know it is
of course, but when we raced at the same track as old motorcycles with open
chain oilers and the line has a strip of oil on it.......I figured some coolant

was the least of our worries. With a proper catch tank, you aren't likely to
lose coolant, and if you have a blown engine, the antifreeze will be the
least  of the lubricants hitting the fan.

Having to drain all the coolant and replace it with water, only to reverse
the process when you get home (can't just drain it or seals dry out) was a
pain.  I have it on good authority (of course I would NEVER do this) that
draining
some  coolant and topping the overflow tank and rad with pure water often
gets one  through tech.......

Bill