Healeys, VRG classification

To: "Ward, Allen" <Wardnest@aol.com>, "Tamkin, jeff" <jeff@tamkin.com>,
Subject: Healeys, VRG classification
From: "Bluechipracing" <bluechipracing@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 18:40:10 -0400
Below is a note from Mark Palmer which clarifies classifications in the VRG.

This has nothing to do with the Australian Healey challenge, but may be of
interest to all Healey racers.

"Please tell the Healey guys that 100/4's won't have to run with the ground
pounders!

First let me try to clarify that we will make up race groups based on actual
entries.  Some classes will be combined, some may be sub-divided, it all
depends on the actual entries received. So don't get too hung up on the
class structure.  The race groups will be created based on compatible cars,
and we won't rigidly adhere to displacement.

We had to pick a number for the class structures.  We debated between 2.5
and 3.0 litres.  Basically, we chose 2.5 so we would be able to put the
faster/newer Porsche 911's with the big-bore cars (later 911's are 2.7
litre).

But Healey Hundreds are a different situation entirely.  Healey 100/4's
prepared to VSCCA spec would run in a pre-1959 race group.  A Healey built
to SVRA specs (wider wheels & tires) would probably run with Small/Medium
Bore 1960's cars like MGB's and TR4's. If the 3000 was really fast, modified
right to the limit of the rules, and driven very rapidly -- we might bump
that one into the big-bore group (like if John Chatham drops by for one of
our events).

But don't worry, we'll do our best to put everyone in compatible groups
where they are comfortable, with cars they are used to running with.

Please pass the word along to the Healey crowd, if you would ... I'd swamped
right now.  I'll post something on the VRG Newsgroup but I'd be very
thankful if you would call a few of the key guys.

Regards,
Mark Palmer
Vintage Racers Group
http://www.vrgonline.org/