Re: RE: Inspirational movies, quotes

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RE: Inspirational movies, quotes
From: <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:00:07 +0000
Re the alleged Hemingway quote about "three real sports",

Rick Yocum asked:

> Can you source that Hemingway quote?  I've heard it - and
> loved it - for years.  But I can't find its source.

A Google search indicates that--apparently--no one can.

The phrase that gives me the most comfort, as I put my aging British roadster
back together with 35 year old parts, is this one:

"The first concept of superior priniciple is always defeated by the perfected
example of established practice."

Which I believe came from Moss & Pomeroy's "Design and Behavior of the Racing
Car", which I've been crediting for decades . . . but at the moment, I can't
find my copy to confirm that either  :-)

Jim Hill