how to identify a pre log book car?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: how to identify a pre log book car?
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:40:42 -0500
I traded a couple of VW engiens for a pair of Triumph Spitfires -- a mechanical
engineer
buddy of mine does home built airplanes, had the cars, wanted the engines.  I
figure I
got the better (and safer!) end of the deal.

He said one was a race car.  I thought "yeah right" but then the guy isn't your
typical "man
on the street".  Long story short.  Indeed, a racer, a '67 Spitfire with very
late 60's early 70's
type prep -- narrow Y type harnesses, well built roll bar (diag brace etc) but
still just a roll
bar.  Very tiny seat, remnants of a plexiglass (smoke colored) windscreen.
Still had a fire
extinguisher in it.  Has two drilled inspection holes in the roll bar (and
braces) but I have
yet to find any stamped numbers or any ID plates at all on the beast -- none of
the original
Spitfire plates are there.

The car has lived in Arkansas for most of its life.  I've talked to one of the
guys that I autocross
with, he and his dad ran a Spit for a while, claimed to have bought it from
Group 44.  It's
obvious that this car was at least built as a racer "back in the day", but I
have no proof.

What would you do?  Is there any way of figuring out where this thing came from
without
finding the guy that built it?

-Keith Wheeler