Being towed

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Being towed
From: "Wente" <dlwrew@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:10:05 -0500
>From a persistent lurker--

Year 1970, hitchhiking through the UK and Europe. Picked up on an entrance to
the Autobahn by businessman driving a Porsche 911. Proceed in the left
lane-throttle wide open, me wondering if there is a towel in the car, when I
heard an engine sound one does not like to hear. Turned to look out the rear
window, faint plume of smoke now following us. Turned to my driver, and said,
"Oil". He pulled over to the right lane and then the shoulder. Yup. Lunched
something. Something serious. Two minutes later a Rover TC3500 passed by and
swerved to the shoulder, reversed to where we were. An engineering employee of
my Porsche driver. A tow rope, hemp, sisal, whatever, no more than 15 feet
long came out of the Rover trunk, and questionably knotted the two cars
together. Off we went, in tow, still moving at 140+kph. Then I really needed a
towel. Came to the border crossing into Austria, waved through with out even a
cursory glance by border officials. Same thing at the next crossing back into
Germany. Stayed the night with my host and family and headed off the next day
to saner hitching in a VW camper.