Old Race Car Values

To: CMSHG@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Old Race Car Values
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:17:57 EDT
Take a look at Ebay item  #4581202602.

In the GOD (good old days) old race cars were  worth fairly nominal sums.

When vintage racing became popular, many single  seaters and sports racers
suddenly soared in value, and some production cars  were pulled along at least
part of the way, although a modified racer never  attained the same price as a
restored stock version unless it had some special  racing history.

The car being auctioned is STARTING at US  $34,500.  Yes, it was once driven
by Bob Sharp - as a back-up  car.

Am I out of step here, or is asking 35K for a  frickin' Datsun sedan without
any particular racing history the accepted going  rate??

I have seen ads for cars like a Jensen  Interceptor once owned by Tony Curtis
or sundry other 'personalities' with  inflated asking prices (that sort of
thing wouldn't make them worth a dime more  to me, I'd be more worried about
catching something....). Do you think this is  one of those 'let's troll around
and see if some rube will be impressed with a  famous name' gambits, or is the
guy realistically expecting that sort of  price?

Can I interest you in a Volkswagen van that  Peewee Herman once (briefly)
occupied....?

Bill