Re: [Vintage-race] HP Draw of Cooling Fans - 1275 'A' engine ?

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Vintage-race] HP Draw of Cooling Fans - 1275 'A' engine ?
From: Mark Palmer <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 19:01:35 +0000
I second Jack's motion ... too many people think that if they remove the
alternator/generator, and remove the fan, they'll get a few more horsepower
and suddenly start winning races.  The driver is way, way more important than
that minute horsepower gain.  Spend your time, effort, and money on a good
skills school, or a coaching session with someone like Peter Krause, and
you'll gain WAY more benefit.  Not only will you be quicker, you'll also be a
lot safer in the bargain.  AND you'll have a whole lot more fun!

Too many cars boil over on the grid because they have no fan ... or won't
start because the battery is down, because of no alternator.  Or can't finish
an enduro because of weak spark.  Drivers say "I can't do the Downtown
Festival because my car will overheat ... or not start ... or my six-plate
microdiameter racing clutch will burn out".  They're missing half the fun --
and the whole point -- of vintage racing, IMHO.

Mark Palmer