vtr

Re: Compiled list of Triumph bidders?

To: <tr6scotty@hotmail.com>, <dwbradbury@ra.rockwell.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <vtr@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Compiled list of Triumph bidders?
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:05:46 EST
Sender: owner-vtr@autox.team.net
In a message dated Wed, 24 Jan 2001  4:41:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, "TR6
Guy" <tr6scotty@hotmail.com> writes:

<< This is DavidBombardier@aol.com writing from another account....

If they have actually bid on Triumphs in auctions, then the information would
be extremely relevant to them. In fact, it would likely be more relevant to
them than to the average member of your lists, since they are active Triumph
bidders. >>

Why does that make what sure sounds to me like potential "spam" OK?

<< Not all unsolicited email is a bad thing, per se. Depends on to whom and for
what. >>

Well, no. Even if well-intended, it's still unsolicited, unlike lists such as
these, to which we choose to subscribe with the understanding of the rules set
forth by the list owner.

<< Notice how rational and polite I am. Contrast that with MJB's action. He
expects me to be attacked on the list without being able to respond? We all
know which type of countries emply THAT system of justice. >>

I see it as MJB simply enforcing the rules he laid down -- the rules to which
we all tacitly agree when we join the list.

<< And talk about spam, look at all of you replying to this issue. You think
ONE email that is RELEVANT is bad, yet MULTIPLE emails that are attacks are
fine? >>

To a point, I agree with you. However, one could say that this discussion is
relevant to the list, in helping to define its purpose.

<< I am banned for wanting to write to people who ACTUALLY do BID on Triumphs,
which is a more targeted group than these lists as a whole. >>

Next time, instead of offering to buy addresses, why not "mine" them yourself
and save us all this sort of discussion.

I sympathize with Mark; I spend a fair amount of time each day administering a
number of work-related lists. Much of that time is spent with error messages,
confused subscribers, attempted spam, etc., etc. At least I get paid for that.
Bless him, Mark's doing this out of the goodness of his heart.

<< It's such a crime when greater minds are persecuted by lesser minds. >>

Huh? You might not be aware of just how unfair and inaccurate that statement is.

I usually do not enter into these little flamefests, and I sincerely hope
neither you nor I will feel the need to further fan this one.

--Andy Mace

///
///  vtr@autox.team.net mailing list
///  Send list postings to vtr@autox.team.net