wpta

Re: [WPTA] Gearbox oils, for your Sunday reading pleasure

To: EDWARD WOODS <fogbro1@comcast.net>, EDWARD WOODS via Wpta <wpta@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [WPTA] Gearbox oils, for your Sunday reading pleasure
From: JIM UNDERWOOD via Wpta <wpta@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 09:38:39 -0400 (EDT)

------=_Part_120122_402275773.1691329119602

I found that in my MGB, the OD would slip on a high RPM shift with gear oil=
.  Switched to ATF and the issue was gone.  I don't know how many times I h=
ad the engine in and out thinking it was the clutch hanging up.  Ran into t=
he same issue on a friends 79B with OD.  The TR8 gets GM syncromesh fluid w=
hich is a light viscosity.  ATF works as well and many use that.  Put Gear =
oil in a Rover 5spd and you will be grinding gears until it gets hot. =20
Jim

> On 08/06/2023 8:50 AM EDT EDWARD WOODS via Wpta <wpta@autox.team.net> wro=
te:
> =20
> =20
> For all of you still using engine oil in your Triumph or MG gearboxes:
> And, by the way, when=E2=80=99s the last time it=E2=80=99s been changed? =
=E2=80=9CDirt is the enemy of all machinery=E2=80=9D
> =20
> Ed Woods
> =20
> =20
> People confuse engine oil weights with gear oil weights. They have > noth=
ing to do with each other. A 75w gear oil has about the same viscosity > {p=
ourability} as 20w engine oil. Back in the days when your cars were new oil=
 technology expecially gear oil was rather crude. 30w engine oil was  used =
because they did not have a gear oil that was thin enough. Light  weight ge=
ar oils are fairly new. The last 15 years or so. Gear oils are designed for=
 shear stregnth. Meaning they cling to virtical surfaces. Engine oil does n=
ot. By using straight weight engine oils you are using ancient technology. =
It would be the same as putting on rayon/nylon tires, using poor fuel etc. =
We use 75w/80 gear oil in all but our racing boxes. These use a 75w synthet=
ic oil. One of the boxes, a pre-war jag box had over 30,000 miles of rallie=
s on it before it broke a gear tooth. There was no evidence of abnormal bra=
ss wear on the syncros. I have never had an oil engineer in 25+ years of bu=
siness tell me that hypoid oil attacks brass. The light weight gear oils sh=
ift better and protect your gears better than any engine oil.
> Ralph Steinberg
>=20

------=_Part_120122_402275773.1691329119602

<!doctype html>
 <head>=20
 </head>
olor: #333333;">
 my MGB, the OD would slip on a high RPM shift with gear oil.&nbsp; Switche=
d to ATF and the issue was gone.&nbsp; I don't know how many times I had th=
e engine in and out thinking it was the clutch hanging up.&nbsp; Ran into t=
he same issue on a friends 79B with OD.&nbsp; The TR8 gets GM syncromesh fl=
uid which is a light viscosity.&nbsp; ATF works as well and many use that.&=
nbsp; Put Gear oil in a Rover 5spd and you will be grinding gears until it =
gets hot.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>
tica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    On 08/06/2023 8:50 AM EDT EDWARD WOODS via Wpta &lt;wpta@autox.team.net=
&gt; wrote:
    &nbsp;
    &nbsp;
etica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    For all of you still using engine oil in your Triumph or MG gearboxes:
etica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    And, by the way, when=E2=80=99s the last time it=E2=80=99s been changed=
? =E2=80=9CDirt is the enemy of all machinery=E2=80=9D
etica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    &nbsp;
etica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    Ed Woods
etica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    &nbsp;
etica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    &nbsp;
etica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    People confuse engine oil weights with gear oil weights. They have &gt;=
 nothing to do with each other. A 75w gear oil has about the same viscosity=
 &gt; {pourability} as 20w engine oil. Back in the days when your cars were=
 new oil technology expecially gear oil was rather crude. 30w engine oil wa=
s&nbsp; used because they did not have a gear oil that was thin enough. Lig=
ht&nbsp; weight gear oils are fairly new. The last 15 years or so. Gear oil=
s are designed for shear stregnth. Meaning they cling to virtical surfaces.=
 Engine oil does not. By using straight weight engine oils you are using an=
cient technology. It would be the same as putting on rayon/nylon tires, usi=
ng poor fuel etc. We use 75w/80 gear oil in all but our racing boxes. These=
 use a 75w synthetic oil. One of the boxes, a pre-war jag box had over 30,0=
00 miles of rallies on it before it broke a gear tooth. There was no eviden=
ce of abnormal brass wear on the syncros. I have never had an oil engineer =
in 25+ years of business tell me that hypoid oil attacks brass. The light w=
eight gear oils shift better and protect your gears better than any engine =
oil.=20
------=_Part_120122_402275773.1691329119602--

--===============0250940802894884688==

wpta@autox.team.net