2000-register

The Ten Cathedrals Run (long-ish)

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: The Ten Cathedrals Run (long-ish)
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:52:25 -0000
Apologies for 'bombing' these lists for readers who are outside the UK.

The Ten Cathedrals Run as promoted by The Triumph 2000 2500 2.5 Register to
occur over the
weekend of May 6-7, 2000 with a start and finish at The Heritage Motor Centre,
Gaydon will
NOT be taking place under the aegis of The Register. This is largely due to the
limited
number of participants coming forward whose entry fees will not meet the
overheads The
Register will incur to man controls etc. Many Triumph owners living within the
run
perimeter have expressed interest but declined to participate because of:

1. Restricted mileage insurance cover
2. Serious doubts as to whether their engines will run happily on unleaded with
or without
an anti-wear additive or cylinder head conversion

There is ample evidence from many Triumph owners both in the UK and abroad that
95 octane
unleaded and a 'soft (?)' valved Triumph engine are entirely compatible - but I
won't
force anyone to do something against their will or labour the point. A pity,
otherwise we
would have fielded the better part of up to 40 cars for an 800 mile trip in 24
hours.
Extensive interest from various local press outlets has been cancelled due to
lack of
numbers.

Readers who are already aware of the event from Triumph UK Club magazines
should be in no
doubt that the run WILL still take place, although it will not be backed by a
Triumph
Club. All the participants so far registered have expressed the wish to
continue with the
Run as they do not feel the charity benefitting from the funds to be raised from
sponsorship should be short-changed. In any case, they want to get their cars
seen on the
road and give them a good work-out.

If you would like to take part, there is now no entry fee to cover Run Plate,
Finisher
Plaque or en-route food. If you would like to sign up at this late stage,
payment for
food, fuel etc will be to your personal account. The charity still in focus to
receive
funds raised from this event is still The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association.

Please contact me off list if you would like to enter. I need driver name,
navigator name,
car model, registration and your full postal address and telephone number.

The labrador puppies named in July 1999 as 'Triumph' (gold) 'Spitfire' (gold)
'Herald'
(gold) and Vanguard (black) are now six months into their puppy walking
training - so
maybe we might raise enough money to buy one of them a lead and perhaps even a
collar?

John Macartney
Run Co-ordinator