2000-register

Gearboxes

To: 2000-register@autox.team.net
Subject: Gearboxes
From: clifford.pope@virgin.net
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 11:20:06 -0800
Happy New Year all.
Here are a few queries to start the year off.

1) Is a gearbox with a J-type overdrive attached a straight swap for one
with an A-type?
Does it need any of the ancillary bits, eg prop shaft, speedo cable,
etc, or will it literally bolt straight in?

Are the A- and J-type overdrives interchangeable on the same or any
gearbox?

Can an overdrive be replaced leaving the gearbox on the car (lowered a
bit for access) or is there some fiddly process with a bit of wire that
can only be done with the gearbox upended?

If replacing an overdrive, is there any reason for choosing an A or J,
eg strength etc, or doesn't it matter?

2)  I have just had a rotor arm break. It was quite new, from Rimmers if
that is relevant. I notice that the modern kind without the
counterweight opposite the contact have a steel spring inside. Mine had
rusted slightly, and apparently this expansion had cracked the bakelite.
I would WD40 it in future. Luckily the flying bits did not damage the
Luminition blade.

3) Has anyone else noticed that modern wax-filled thermostats do not
open as much as the old bellows kind? I am finding it very difficult to
get a reasonable running temperature in this colder weather. With an
older thermostat in place, the temp gauge never rises above 1/4 and the
heater is poor. With a new thermostat, the gauge tends to be about 3/4,
which is fine in cold weather but the car is then very prone to
overheating in hot weather.
I have tested both thermostats in a pan of hot water, but although they
both open at the same temperature, the aperture is much greater on the
older one, so obviously more water circulates.
Everything else is, I think, fine. Head recently cleaned out with a new
gasket, radiator removed and flushed out, cooling system cleaned and
flushed, everything in tune and running well, water pump gushing away.
So do people just use a 'Summer thermostat' and a 'Winter thermostat',
or am I missing something?

Regards,
Cliff Pope